2020 was a year of many challenges, one of which was adapting to a new 'normal' of how we conduct our daily lives. The corporate landscape has changed, with many employees working remotely and regularly attending Zoom and other video platform meetings.
We therefore have seen an increase in video interviews which is a new challenge for many job seekers. Here are some tips for those preparing for a remote interview:
- Ensure you are in a quiet room where you won't be interrupted. If there are other people at home at the time of your interview, make sure they know what you are doing and that you are not to be disturbed.
- Set yourself up in the most "interview like" setting as possible. For example, if you have a home office, set yourself up there in front of your computer. Otherwise, try to find space somewhere at a desk or dining table and chair. Avoid setting your laptop or phone up on a coffee table and sitting on a couch.
- Ensure the background behind you is neat and tidy. Do a test run. Set your phone or laptop up where you intend to be for interview and turn your camera on so you can view your background. Remove anything from view that you don't wish your potential future employer to see (i.e laundry hanging on an airer!).
- Present yourself exactly as you would for an in person interview. The same polished attire, hair, make-up etc that you would to attend a meeting in an office. With any first stage interview, it's best to err on the side of caution and prepare a conservative outfit. A collared shirt or shirt and a jacket are great ways to present a professional look over a video interview.
- Make sure you are sitting up straight and smiling! You're on tv after all! Sitting up straight ensures that you are projecting your voice clearly. There can be technical glitches with video interviews, so you want to do your best to ensure the interviewer can hear you.
- Be early! Access your meeting link 3-5 minutes before the call is due to start. The interviewer will know that you are there and ready and this will create a great first impression.
Barratt Galvin is an Australian based legal recruitment business providing law firm resourcing solutions. Collectively, our consultants have over twenty year’s experience placing legal professionals into law jobs locally and internationally.
Based in Sydney, we assist legal professionals looking for legal jobs within Australia, as well as those relocating to or returning from London and the Middle East legal markets.
Our core client base is made up of elite private practice legal teams within mid to top tier and international law firms. The legal jobs we recruit for include Lawyers, Legal Secretaries, EA/PA, HR, Business Development & Marketing and Office Support.
As recruitment experts in Australia, London and the Middle East we can assist you with your international or local legal job search. Barratt Galvin is focussed on providing you access to legal job opportunities that align with your career goals, at the best possible salary level within the market.
Click here to review our recent law jobs
Click here to find out about our recruitment in Australia, the Middle East, and the United Kingdom
Click here to review our latest salary report